Sunday, May 13, 2012
I completed a UFO yesterday. It was not a very long term WIP (work in progress), I started it last October. The quilt kit was purchased in Paducah. My husband took us on a side-trip from our September Ohio trip so I could experience Hancocks of Paducah. He spotted the quilt on display, and I found the quilt kit on a discounted table.
I made an attempt to finish it for this past Christmas, but I didn't make it... I missed it by several months. Now that the top is complete, I owe it to my husband to get it quilted before this next Christmas. I think that might be a great possibility. I already have a panto design with poinsettias.
Rockport and we decided on this pattern for a project we could all learn from. I was kind of taking the lead and gave the other ladies some guidance. When I got home I found I should have paid closer attention to the instructions. I have the tendency to "wing it" and this time it nipped me pretty good. I had to modify the outside border to finish the top. I don't usually show someone how to do something that I have not had the opportunity to test. We decide on this quilt at the retreat and I thought it looked pretty doable. If you look in the middle you will note there is a double strip that is not between the two side blocks. This was added to make the border wide enough. If you didn't know it was a mistake, I think it would be rather hard to pick it out. I didn't discover my mistake until I got home, so I had to come up with a fix and let everyone know I had instructed them incorrectly.