My sewing room chair is really a good chair, but it doesn't do well on a carpet. I decided to make a cushion set to make an ordinary chair actually be useful as a sewing chair. I used fabric I had in my stash, and I covered 20 buttons. I even had a pattern in my stash of patterns. I thought the cushions dressed up the chair pretty nicely, and it really makes the chair quite comfortable. I used alot of polyester fiberfill... no foam at all.
With my longarm and all the quilts that I do, I have lots of batting scraps. If I have a small quilt and a batting scrap that is just a little short, I piece my batting. Before I discovered I could do it on my sewing machine, I used to butt up the batting pieces and whip them together with a needle and thread.
Even if you lengthen your zigzag stitch, a typical zigzag stitch just makes a bunched up line. I discovered on my last sewing machine that I could piece my batting very successfully using a 3-step zigzag. My new machine also has this really neat zigzag stitch. Q-10 is the designation on my new machine for the proper zigzag.
It would have been easier to see if I had used a contrasting color thread in the image to the left, but this was a batting I was going to use. You can see the joined seam of the batting if you know it is there, but once it is in the quilt, no one would know. It doesn't get any easier than this. If I had the time, I could piece alot more of my batting scraps and I could save alot more money. I really like how this works on Warm 'n Natural, which is the first type of batting I tried this on, but I find it works just fine on other types of batting as well.
My camera battery quit when I was in the middle of taking pictures of my Clothesline Quilt that I completed yesterday.
Yeah... a quilt completed!!!
The backing on this quilt is really cool... a large 9-patch. I had fun doing this quilt, but it was alot of work for a quilt that hasn't been designated for any particular purpose. For now this quilt will join my finished quilt stack.