Hard to believe so much time has gone by since my last post. I think of posting, but something always seems to get in the way. I won't begin to suggest that anything will change, but one never knows.
One of my recent quilt finishes was an antique quilt that I repaired for a friend. It was in my possession for quite some time... I almost forgot about it. When I would come across it in the closet, I would look in the bag and shudder to think what it might take to get it done. Well a few weeks ago I determined it was time to take the bull by the horns and tackle the task at hand. I was not close to being knowledgeable about the best way to go about repairing an old quilt, but I gave it my best shot. This quilt was originally all done by hand. I had to remove all the quilting to dispose of all the wadded batting. The edge of the backing was pretty much threadbare, as well as many of the pieces on the front. I replaced the pieces on the front that had big holes. I tried to find fabric scraps from my stash that would not stand out too much, and reinforced the back of some other pieces with a fusible stabilizer to try to retain as much of the original as possible. I could not use any of the original border, but I was able to use the good spots of the backing to make the new border for the front. The quilt has a new backing to make it possible to display this quilt instead of wasting away hidden in a bag.