I tried this bread the other day and it turned out great. It really was not difficult, it just required a little time to let it rise. I pretty much followed the recipe and only came up with minor changes I might do next time. I did not get out my big stand mixer, but I did start off with my little hand mixer to get the basics blended good. Actually a mixer probably is not necessary. What I might change is the raspberry jelly. I love raspberry jelly, but apparently I should have found a thicker jam as mine did not look as crisp red as the picture. The jelly seemed to run out more than I thought it should have, which also meant I had some jelly that leaked into my oven.
I will definitely make this again. Even if it was not as picture perfect as the recipe showed, it still turned out pretty impressive. By the way, there is a link below the recipe to the website where I found the original recipe.
Christmas Star Twisted Bread
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Confectioners' sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water until foamy. In another bowl, combine milk, egg, butter, sugar and salt; add yeast mixture and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions. Roll one portion into a 12-in. circle. Place on a greased 14-in. pizza pan. Spread with one-third of the jam to within 1/2 in. from edge. Repeat twice, layering dough and jam, and ending with final portion of dough.
- Place a 2-1/2-in. round cutter on top of the dough in center of circle (do not press down). With a sharp knife, make 16 evenly spaced cuts from round cutter to edge of dough, forming a starburst. Remove cutter; grasp two strips and rotate twice outward. Pinch ends together. Repeat with remaining strips.
- Cover with plastic wrap; let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. (Watch during final 5 minutes for any dripping.) Remove from oven; brush with melted butter, avoiding areas where jam is visible. Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
Editor’s Note: Kickstart the flavor by trying blueberry jam and 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel, or blackberry jam and 1/2 teaspoon cardamom.
Originally published as ChristmasStar Twisted Bread in Taste of Home November 2016, p46