The missions have lots of history and the architecture and structures are typically in varying stages of reconstruction. There is always signs of refurbishing going on, but they have done a fabulous job of preserving these buildings and grounds. Concepcion was not hard to find, but we kind of stumbled on it because we forgot to check out a map first. Once you get to one of the missions, there is alot of information available to show you how to find the others.
The second mission we visited was San Juan. I was very disappointed that I had not brought my camera bag with me. I hung the camera around my neck and left the bag in the car. About half way around the perimeter I discovered that my camera battery was out. I had a fresh battery in my bag, but I guess I learned that I should at least put my backup battery in a more accessible location... like my pocket. It was too far to go for my battery. Ron got to take lots of great shots of the grist mill that was at the far end of this mission. I will have to wait till next time. Ron and I see things slightly different sometimes, so when we are taking pictures, it is interesting to see the diverse perspectives.
I really enjoy taking pictures at Mission Espada, specifically this church. I often find doors to be very interesting. Mission Espada even has a mission kitty.
I have quilted a few quilts lately, but somehow my camera wasn't handy, because it seems I am missing all those pictures. This is the last one I quilted. It was only a baby size quilt, but sometimes they are the most fun because I can finish them quickly. This one has giraffes and lions and elephants. I often like to piece the back... it adds character to the quilt, and usually it is because the backing was a little short.
This quilt is for a lady at church that really doesn't sew. The quilt was pieced by a family member and it has been waiting for quite some time to be quilted. When I received the top, there was no backing with it, which meant that it would be a whole lot easier for me to find something in my stash than it would be to try to explain what type and size the fabric needed to be for the back. I found a piece that had many of the colors, but it was just shy of being large enough to work. I matched it up with another fabric and I thought it made a perfect addition to the character of the back.
I will have to get busy in the next couple of weeks so that I can finish a quilt or two before Christmas.