Saturday, June 27, 2015

June almost gone

About a month ago I made a suggestion at my Monday quilting group that we all bring in 81 five inch squares - there are 40 in a Charm Pack. Even if you didn't want to cut all of the squares, it wouldn't be difficult to come up with 81 squares... 2 Charm Packs plus one more 5" square.  These 81 5" squares would make up nine  9-patch blocks, that would then be cut up to create another unique block.  The fun part would be for each of us to put our 81 squares on the table and take 81 back that were not the original ones we brought.  Sure sounded like we would all come up with a neat quilt. Borders and sashing would make each one unique.

The second week several of us brought in our 5" squares and did the exchange. The first problem arose when I sewed my first two 9-patch blocks, cut them and sewed them back together per the instructions.  The block definitely did not provide the expected result.  All those who participate agreed.  Next problem was... what to do with the 81 5" blocks.  I think you have to agree that the block is some ugly.

 I started looking for options.  I had to come up with something that was a good recovery for a very bad suggestion.  I found a tutorial on YouTube by Jenny Doan for a window pane 9 patch.  I proceeded to create nine 9-patch blocks with sashing to create "window pane" blocks, then turned around and cut them to create her variation of a "disappearing 9-patch".  Her suggestion was to put them together so that none of the seams matched up.  Well, I put them up on my design wall and was trying to organize them so no "like" colors were together.  My quilt critic walked by and told me he could hardly stand to walk by cause he thought it was disjointed and it was uncomfortable to look at.  It wasn't the scrappy look he didn't like, it was the black sashing that did not match up to the sashing in the block next to it.

Well, I contemplated on what I was going to do with this now very acceptable quilt and came up with a table quilt... it fits our table very nicely.

To the right is the center of my next quilt project. I like it lots already and I have only just begun. I have lots of fabric choices that I will incorporate into this new adventure.  When this one is complete it will fit very nicely into the background of Ron's Creation classes at church.

Saturday, June 13, 2015


Until recently, I knew I wanted one, but I didn't know what they were called.  Pergolas come in many configurations, but I'm thinking this one is really cool... and it is especially cool because it is in my back yard.  I did alot of work a couple years ago to get my patio blocks all in place.  Now with this new pergola, my quilt pattern has to be altered.  My Texas patio block will become my center medallion.  I was not real particular about getting all my blocks totally level the first time, so I have to take many blocks up in the leveling process to get rid of the low spots and specifically on one side it becomes like a little pond when it rains very much.  I'm not sure, but I think the hard part is done... pergola is up, but then taking up patio blocks and leveling the base and putting them back down might be lots of fun... right?

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

June in South Texas

This is long overdue... my last post indicated that we were in the process of moving back to Ohio.  Well, that is not going to happen.  So just to be sure there is no confusion... we are staying in Texas, right where we have been for all these wonderful years, in our little homestead just south of San Antonio.  When we started looking at houses in Ohio, it became very evident that we were not going to be happy leaving Texas behind.

Now back in Texas I did not plant a spring garden because I was not going to be here... but I did have lots left from my winter garden.  Well, I did plant potatoes in February, so technically I think that would kind of be a spring garden.  I harvested the potatoes a couple weeks ago already.  I had a pretty good crop of potatoes, both red ones and white ones.

Just this past week I pulled up all my onions and let them dry some before I braided them into a rope so I could hang them like I used to.  I had red, yellow and some small white ones.  All are very impressive for my first real onions in Texas.  My dill plant was taller than I am and I thought I had harvested all my Brussels sprouts, but when I was thinking I should be pulling up the plants, I found them loaded with a whole new crop of sprouts.  A garden that just keeps on giving.

My quilt room has been expanded.  There previously was a doorway going into the room which limited the length of the frame that my longarm sits on.  Ron basically knocked out the wall that the doorway was in and opened that end of the room. It is amazing how different that work area looks now.  It has a whole different feel.  Now this picture does not show where the doorway used to be, but it does show the longer frame.  With the longer frame I also had to make longer leaders, so last week was a busy one. 

 This is a quilt that I had in the closet for several years now... waiting to be finished.  Since I had time, I was able to get one of my own quilts on the frame.  So many times I have several quilts from friends that usually take up alot of my quilting time.

I saw a pin on Pinterest for this pieced binding.  The pieces are 2 1/2" strips sewn together then cut on the bias into the long 2 1/2" strip to go around the quilt.  I think it really turned out cool... and so did the cats.  Boston has pretty much claimed the upper spot.  This quilt does not have a destination yet... not sure what I will do with it.  Don't know why I chose the size, but I sure do like how it all turned out.

Updates coming up in the backyard.

Hopefully it won't be so long to my next post.