Saturday, July 21, 2018

Machine Applique for a cupboard?



One project for the kitchen in my new house is to replace the cupboard doors... a couple of them were missing and it is not easy to match cupboard doors.  As it is not a priority project, I was able to find some cupboard doors, kind of a good size and color, that would work in the interim at Habitat for Humanity.  I needed three doors and was only able to find two... the third cupboard is still needing a door.  I decided a small quilt might make a neat cover for that cupboard.  The flower part of this block came from a magazine, but my borders are appearing as I create them.  I have two narrow side borders to complete this before I bind and hang it over the cupboard opening in the corner.

I have a quilting buddy that has made some amazing quilts, including some impressive hand applique on a couple.  She has been on a hiatus from quilting due to some health issues and other commitments and needs to be motivated to get back into quilting.  I suggested that we look for a Block of the Month project that we could both commit to.  We would both benefit from having an accountability partner to get a new quilt done.  She found a really cool BOM... using machine applique.  It would be a beautiful option, but when I asked her if she had done any machine applique, she indicated she had not.  Hand applique and machine applique are quite different techniques. Either you really like it, or you find it to be a chore.  I think anyone can accomplish a quilt using machine applique, but if you are going to commit to a BOM, it would be good if you enjoyed doing the technique.  With this beautiful quilt that she found in mind, I started looking for a practice block or two that she could work on and decide if machine quilting was a technique she would enjoy.  I found this flower block in my search for that mini project.  I wasn't sure that she would like the block, but because it was more of a rectangle than a square, I started envisioning it hanging in my kitchen over my cupboard that has the missing door.

No comments:

Post a Comment