Sunday, August 26, 2018

Mac 'n Cheese

On Sundays I try to keep my kitchen time to a minimum.  Today I had a plan in mind to stay with that scenario.  We stopped at the grocery store on the way home from church to pick up a few items, and the produce guy was just putting out some new corn.  I had taken a couple chicken breasts out to thaw with the air fryer in mind.  Corn seemed like a good choice to go with the air fried chicken.  With the chicken being cooked in the air fryer, I had to come up with another option besides my typical French fries that I love to make in the air fryer.  Now until recently I was not a fan of Kraft Mac 'n Cheese... you know that little blue box that makes a quick Mac 'n Cheese dinner for your hungry kids.  I was scrolling online through recipes a while back and came across an Upgraded Kraft Mac 'n Cheese recipe that looked interesting.  I made it once just to give it a try and was so amazed at how good it was that I am now totally into that little blue box.  I have to control the urge to fill my plate with this mac 'n cheese and forget whatever else I made to go with it.

What makes this recipe so special is the added "cheeses" and the buttered cracker crumbs that top it off, and how quick and easy it becomes a really awesome part of supper.  The recipe calls for addition of sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese... which works fine, but I sometimes don't have sour cream, so Greek plain yogurt is often what I use.  Also, I almost always have Mexican 4 cheese blend for my shredded cheese that I keep on hand.  I think the bake time is the part that completes the transition from a top of the stove box quickie dinner to what almost appears to be homemade.

So today's supper had three really great components... tender, fresh sweet sweet corn, air fried chicken, and awesome Mac 'n Cheese.  If you have never thought you wanted to ever consider using that little blue box of Mac 'n Cheese, you really have to give it a try... you'll be converted... I am quite sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment