Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Block of the Month


In August I decided to subscribe to The Quilt Show, an on-line TV show that features Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims. The first "show" that I watched featured Marti Michell and I learned alot. I explored the site a bit and liked the BOM, block of the month, quilt and decided to go for it. It started in January, so I was way behind when I started. I did not opt to buy the kit, and have been using fabric from my stash. The image of the center is how far I got by the end of September... and that is with being gone for a couple weeks for our trip to Colorado. For eight months all you do is make blocks that will be put together to make two different borders. You do eight of the small sawtooth stars (72 in all) for an outer border and four of a larger border star that will go on next when I get all 24 done.
I finished the 24 blocks and put them together with the setting triangles and trimmed the borders to size, then tried laying the borders around the center to attach them, and nothing was lining up at the corners. I decided I should have made sure they were all the correct size before I started putting the setting triangles on, and I ended up taking the blocks apart from the setting triangles. Some blocks I had to actually take completely apart. Making sure your seams are all exactly the same width is crucial when you have so many pieces in one block. Anyhow, after reconstructing the blocks and squaring them up... making sure they were all exactly the same size. When I put the setting triangles back on... I had to cut new triangles... the borders are all the proper size. With Christmas just around the corner, I have been quite busy with meetings and parties and quilting for others, that I haven't had time to get back to my BOM. That will hopefully be the first project I attend to once I am back to a more normal schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment