Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Staying busy

Do you remember starting a plant from an avocado seed/pit?  Seems like I grew a few of them in days long ago.  I was leafing through some older magazines that I ran across in a stack I haven't looked at in a while.  The magazine's name is Sphere, The World of Today's Woman.  It was around in the '70s. No longer available.  It has lots of recipes and some good craft projects... Like I need more projects.  Anyhow I ran across a picture of an avocado being started from a pit in a glass.  It gave a description of how to start an avocado from the pit.  Brought back some memories of one of the many things I used to dabble in.
The directions said that after you washed the seed in tepid water, drive 3 toothpicks into it and suspend it with the broad side down, covering only 1/2" with tepid water.  It needs to be placed in a warm spot, but out of direct sunlight.  It takes 2 - 6 weeks to root. When the stem reaches 7", cut it in half so it branches out.  Once roots are thick and the stem has leafed out, carefully plant in potting soil leaving seed half exposed.  Use a large pot with good drainage. I just may have to start one next time I buy an avocado.
I am not so unlike so many other quilters... I have lots of unfinished projects.  Not only do I have just a few quilts in progress, but I have numerous tasks that I need to get done, like replacing a leather color on a jacket/top for a friend.  I go into my sewing room and see the collar sitting there on the shelf and think, one day soon I will have a little extra time to get to that.  Well today was one of those days.  Louise's collar has been replaced, and it was with the assistance of Boston that I was able to get some blocks taken apart that I sewed together when I was supposed to leave them unsewn along the middle... that would make sense if you have sewn a quilt that has hexagons.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment