Monday, June 28, 2010

One ugly quilt... or not

As I noted in my last post, I saw this quilt/wall hanging in the August 2010 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting.  I didn't want to tackle the whole quilt and I thought the Points of Pride  Color Option feature looked pretty cool.  I found the border fabric right away and picked a couple greens to go with it, and the pale green I used for the points.  I figured I could find the rest in my stash.  As I progressed through the process my husband would comment that it looked OK.  That should have been a sign for me.  When I show him a block I have finished, it is not uncommon for him to say Wow.  So I continued with his OK.  I thought the individual blocks were OK also, but I thought it would Wow me when I put the border on.... Didn't happen.  I might have found cranes like the original fabric in the magazine, but these cranes were all in scattered directions... upside down and sideways most of the time, and it didn't matter which way I turned it.  I continued on to finish putting the borders on, and now I had cranes with heads cut off and only their feet showing.  Just not a good choice.  I guess I could have worked with the border and pieced it together with the cranes turned so they were flying in the right direction or whatever, but I just wanted to be done with it so I could hang it on my design board and critique what I could have done differently.  Upon completion I asked my husband to come look.  He said it looks nice, it has a nice design to it... but he was referring to the pattern and not my fabric choices.  He said it was too jumbled and he couldn't focus on anything.  He likes a quilt to be neat and orderly and calming when he looks at it.  He said this one gave him a headache.  I proceeded to tell him that although I did not have the fabrics that were in the original, that my choices were in the ballpark.  He told me at that point that he doesn't even like to look at the picture in the magazine.  So consensus is that I should make another one with a completely different color scheme... so it was not a total loss.  The foundation piecing went very nicely and the curves were a breeze.  With the size of this one I didn't waste alot of time and I learned from the experience.
On to Monday morning... it is a beautiful morning and the sun is brightly shining.  Early in the morning when the sun is at a low angle, some things show up that you don't see so clearly later in the day.  It seems that we have a few spiders that have created these huge webs that are hanging from one of the trees in front of our deck and are actually attached to the deck on one side.  I very much do not like spiders, but their webs are quite elaborate and I tried to take a couple pictures.  It is difficult because my auto-focus on the camera kept tuning them out, but this one turned out pretty good. 
The pictures where auto-focus took over could be used as inspiration for a new fabric background. 

Monday is my quilting day at church.  We are working on a common quilt and are nearing completion of the piecing.  It is a brick wall pattern. We have made no decision on the borders yet, but that may be something we can decide on today.

Have a great week.

1 comment:

  1. The crane fabric is pretty & I can see why you wanted to take a shot at it. Kudos to you for the learning experience!