Sunday, January 16, 2011

Finished the blocks for my FWS

I have been busy during the last few weeks trying to get my Farmer's Wife Sampler blocks done so that I can start putting it together.  First of all I am not finishing all of the 111 blocks from the book... at least not for this quilt.  The layout I am going to use is not the traditional one that the book illustrates.  The blocks are on point, but they are in columns with sashing separating these columns.  There are 9 blocks in a column and there will be 8 columns, which comes out to 72 blocks... I actually completed 77 blocks.

I am going to make a big effort to finish this one in a timely manner, now that I have enough blocks done.  The last 8 that I worked on are below.

My big scare after I finished the first column was that I would not have enough of the red I chose for the trim around the blocks.  It looked like I had alot of the red, but as I was cutting and getting all the sets done, I think I have about 8 of the 6 1/2" strips left.  That was close, but I had not planned on using the red or even trimming around the blocks.  When I auditioned fabric from my stash that I thought I had enough of, the red really looked best from what I had, and I was sure there was more than plenty.  I made it, but it wasn't by much.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Salli, your blocks look so awesome. That red really makes them pop. I'm glad that you had enough of the red fabric after all!