Sunday, January 27, 2013

Kitty approved

It has been a productive week.  I started a Twister quilt which was about half done when Shorty decided she wanted to test it out.  I have a cutting table temporarily set up in front of the fireplace and Shorty took up temporary residence on the WIP.  Shorty is my official tester... any new piece of fabric laid down in an accessible spot is fair game.  She likes to move around and test out new resting places, so it is always good to provide new test sites for her.

A couple days ago I finished the piecing on the Twister and it is now ready to be neatly folded and put into the "ready to be quilted" stack.  Now if I could only find a home for this lap size quilt, it might stay at the top of the stack.  This was a fun quilt to make.  I learned from the test quilt I worked on a couple weeks ago (posted previously below), but my husband still thinks there is not enough contrast... some pinwheels are less visible than others... but that is what it's all about... isn't it?  I actually bought a pattern for the placement of the blocks to get the desired appearance.  The pattern example used black as the background material... but I really, really do not like working with black.  My eyes just have such a hard time adjusting and seeing what I am working on.  Outside of the background, all of the other fabrics are from my stash.  I did not have enough of anything that would work for the background, so I bought the brown.  I did not have any fabric samples with me to judge the contrast, so I think it turned out pretty good for guesswork.

A couple weeks ago we took the leap into the latest in coffee makers....  at least it was a leap for us.  Both my husband and I didn't think we needed one of those Keurig machines.  We had our coffee making technique all figured out.  Well my husband saw an advertisement for a K-cup which allows you to make a cup of coffee using your own coffee instead of having to buy the pre-packaged cups... which does not mean that we won't use the pre-packaged cups, but we have the choice.  Yesterday I removed our old green coffee maker to a pantry shelf.  We had left it on the counter... just in case the Keurig didn't work as we had anticipated.  In front of the old green machine is the 3 boxes of samples for the Keurig.  I found a deal with 105 different coffees and teas... I have a list handy so that we can record our opinions to help us decide which ones are worth buying again, and those that are not to our liking.  We are really loving this new experience in coffee.  We bought a big box of Newman's Special Blend at Sam's, and that is already more than half gone.

I have been wanting to make a patio out in the back yard.  I had heard about a form to make your own patio blocks and bought the form a few months ago already.  Earlier this week I decided it would be good to do a test in the front yard in front of the access for the outdoor faucet.  This is two castings of the form, which took two 80# bags of ready mixed concrete.  My husband even bought a new wheelbarrow to help make the job a little easier.  I like it so much, I think I am going to expand my new pathway to go across the whole front of the deck... and if I get it done, I will be sure to post a picture.  We bought some more bags of concrete mix yesterday... so my work is waiting for another good day to work outside.

 LBNL - Last but not least, I thought I would try my hand at English Paper Piecing.  Last week I bought the book "Hexa Go-Go".  It is a very good book with a few really nice projects to get you started.  Now as most people already know, EPP is a hand sewn technique. This sew book is the first project in the book.  The Hexies are of course done by hand, but the rest of this project is sewn on the machine.  This is a place to keep your handwork tools together while you are working on your hexies for the project at hand. This sewbook is 4 1/2" tall which makes it a quite handy size.  Of couse I still have yet to put it into use, but I am sure that it will work quite nicely.

The inside has pockets, and felt is layered to hold your pins and needles.  I used one of my antique buttons for the closure... the fabric is all from my stash, including the felt.  Now I will have to see what new project I can start to add to my UFOs.

Hope your week ahead is a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment