Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Almost quilting...

Quilting has been kind of on the back burner lately.  I am not saying that I don't get any quilting done... it is just that it isn't a priority on my list of projects and things that need to be done.  There is a quilt retreat coming up soon, closely followed by the BIG quilt show in Houston... Inspiration!!!, but meanwhile I am trying to work at putting quilting back in the active mode... at least a little more active than it has been in the last several months.

My longarm is all set up in a room upstairs along with my embroidery machine.  These are important elements of the quilting process, but not necessarily something I use on a daily basis.  I have moved my regular sewing machine around a couple times since our move... trying to find the right spot, and I think I have found a corner of the dining area... downstairs... that does not stand out too much.  Now I know there are some that would not consider putting their sewing machine in the main living area... but when I feel like doing some sewing, I did not want the stairs to be an obstacle.  A more important obstacle would have been an objection from Ron, but he is totally with the plan.  It is far enough away from his TV viewing area, that the minimal noise I might create is not a distraction... and I am in the same room... kind of anyhow.

I recently started a quilting project using scrap pieces of fabric that I just happen to have on hand.  I have made a couple of these quilts in the past 2 or 3 years, but it has probably been at least a year since the last one. I think it is a fun project for a few people to work on at the same time... each on their own quilt, and it is amazing to see how different the end results are.  There are a few steps of this process that are a little confusing at first and someone that is easily intimidated might push this one aside.  I have helped a few others along with these steps... and I am freshening my memory before I make the suggestion to one of my quilt groups again.

This is one of those scrappy quilts that I finished a couple years ago, then took it with me to a retreat... to show them how cool this Kwik Krazy quilt can turn out. Turns out my sister really really liked it... almost as much as I did, and I could not say no when she asked me if she could have it.  I am trying to document my progress of the current "sample" quilt and will attempt to put a tutorial together. Another neat part of this quilt is the scrappy border that I made using adding machine tape. That could also be a process that would merit another tutorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment