Saturday, June 25, 2011

Twelve blocks done

It is always a good day when you finish something.  I have not really finished my Baltimore's Country Cousins quilt, but I have finished another phase of the project.  After I finished the hand applique stage, for the blocks that is... I moved on to the "quilt-as-you-go" stage.  My finished quilt will be 3 blocks wide by 4 blocks and then the border, which will also be hand appliqued.  I have finished the quilting stage of those 12 blocks.  I had never used a quilt-as-you-go method before and I'm thinking it is really cool.  I would get three blocks done, then join those blocks and each set of three after that, I was getting more excited.  I like the minimal sashing.  It doesn't take away from the blocks.  I also could have used the same color as the background, but I think it needed something to break between the blocks.  I probably should have hand sewn the blocks together, but I decided it would be sturdier sewn on the machine, so my hand applique/hand quilted quilt has the blocks sewn together on my machine.  I don't think it will take away from the "awe" factor though.  I still have to figure out how I will do the "quilt-as-you-go" technique on the borders after I get those hand appliqued.


I was reading a fellow quilter's blog the other day and she had described a "jelly roll race".  If you go to her site, it was an older post, so you'd have to scroll down.  I thought it was a pretty cool idea and told my quilting ladies about it and they thought it would be fun, but they weren't too sure about the racing part.  I decided to give it a try here at home so when I go in there on Monday I can give them a pep talk.  It would be a fun project to create some quilts to donate.  I had this jelly roll on hand and from start to finish it was just about 2 hours.  I'm not so impressed with the beauty of this quilt, but it sure went together quickly. Of course I have to quilt it, but considering the busy-ness of the quilt, I won't have to do anything too fancy to get it done.

1 comment:

  1. Love your Baltimore Album quilt! I agree it would be sturdiest with machine stitching! I agree that the Jelly Roll quilts don't always look beautiful! But quilted up, and with a child snuggled up in it, they are great!

    ReplyDelete