Saturday, September 5, 2020

First Saturday in September

Morning glories are one of my favorite flowers, and that would be mostly related to its germination reliability. I planted these last year along the two front sections of our side fence and it totally covered those sections of the fence, including the roof of the shed on the inside of the fence.  They are annual flowers, so saving the seeds is essential to keeping them going year after year.  This is only the second year for these, but they did an amazing job of covering the fence again.  Next spring I will have to prep the ground the full length of the fence and add in some more colors... I am thinking red, white and blue would look awesome. Did I forget to mention that prepping the ground for any planting around the house is a major task as the soil is like digging through hard packed clay. You almost need a jack hammer. Nothing like our previous house that was in the middle of the sand dunes... or so it seemed. So I still have to haul in my planting soil even though sand is not an issue.

I don't have lots of space for a garden here at our current location, which probably is not a bad thing as I can get a little overwhelmed with all the tasks involved with staying ahead of a garden here in South Texas where rain is a precious commodity. The good thing about gardening here is you can have a garden going almost year round.  I have scaled back and focus mainly on trying to keep some herbs growing along with my flower beds.  Most of the herbs I planted in the spring have succumbed to the torture of the sun and lack of rain.  I am not nearly as vigilant with my watering as I should be. Now that we are on the other end of the hot summer, it will still be "hot" for a while, but I can start thinking about some new herbs.  I am actually a little late at the start, but not finding any plants at the nurseries yet,  this is my attempt at sprouting some seeds before putting them in some soil . Hopefully I can get some plants started to put outside soon.


I finished a quilt yesterday. The duck blocks have been sitting in my stash for at least 20 years.  I thought it was about time to do something with them.  These were passed down to me and had previously been trimmed to size, which made it very difficult to keep the corner reed bunches intact.  Not sure what the original intention was for these blocks, but they are beautiful, and required fusing the edges to a border.  I contained the raw edges with a machine applique stitch, which hopefully will not fray in the washing process.  Not sure where this quilt will end up, but I am hoping to find a home for it where its history can be appreciated.

Just a little note here... comments help with inspiration. Occasionally someone tells me they really like my little tidbits of info I share, but not many comments are posted here.  I guess I am used to Facebook and all the comments that appear. I tried to make it easier to acknowledge a post was enjoyed by the check boxes at the end of the posts, but even those don't get a check. Granted, not all posts are interesting to you, but even a constructive comment...  A word here and there would be appreciated, and it could inspire more fun and interesting posts.

1 comment:

  1. Love all your post, there always very interesting . Keep them coming .

    ReplyDelete