Friday, February 2, 2018

Groundhog, Ben, recipes and more bread?



Today is Groundhog Day, and I do believe that Punxutawny Phil probably saw his shadow this morning, so I think that means there are 6 more weeks of winter.  It is also my youngest Grandson's birthday.

Meanwhile back to the kitchen... boy is my quilting feeling neglected.  Many years ago I ran into a recipe for an unusual bread.  I may have made it back then, but I don't remember ever getting around to it.  Today I am going to give it a try.  Dough is rising right now, so no finished product to show for my efforts yet.  This bread is called Anadama bread, and supposedly the recipe originated in the New England area.  As you can see it has molasses, butter and cornmeal, which are not typical in the bread recipes I make.  Don't get me wrong, I make an awesome cornbread, but that does not involve yeast, rising and all the stages of the normal bread procedure.

I had a request for a couple of my recipes.  First one is the apple pie... I have to confess that I do not really use a recipe for the filling part of the pie, but I can tell you how I make it. I peel and slice the 6 apples with my apple peeler.  It is a spiral cutter/peeler with a handle that turns the apple.  Reason to mention that is the slices end up quite thin.  When I take the apple off the spindle, the apple is peeled and cored, but I have to remove any remnants of the peel that are left.  Once the apple is peeled and spiral sliced, I cut it in quarters.  My usual is to use two different kinds of apples, 3 Granny Smith and 3 of another... red, sweeter apple. It would be okay to use all Granny Smith or all of another apple, but two different is what I aim for. My pie pan is 9".  I distribute the slices, alternating the Grannies with the other apple. I sprinkle on top about 1/2 cup of sugar which is two scoops for me.  I also sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of flour and maybe a teaspoon of cinnamon over the apples.  Final is 2-3 pats of butter, cut into quarters and dotted over the top of the apples.  I find it easier to slit the top crust when it is folded in half on the counter.  I preheat the oven to 400 and bake for 10 minutes then turn it down to 350 for the last half hour.  I check the pie as it gets close to the end.  One of the slits on the top is usually big enough that I can test how done the apples are.  Sometimes I need to add up to 10 minutes to my time. I want them to be done, but not mushy.  It is hard sometimes to wait, but I try to let it cool enough for the pie to hold together before I cut into it.

The pie crust is easy.  I call it Anna's Pie Crust, named for my Grandma Hattie Anna. 
2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 cup of lard, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of  Apple Cider Vinegar in the cup before measuring 1/2 cup of whole milk.

The Oatmeal bread can be found at this link Pennies and Pancakes.

Happy baking... stay warm!


No comments:

Post a Comment