Saturday, February 10, 2018

Modern Building Blocks

Several months ago I bought a quilt kit that I was thoroughly taken with.  I am anxious to get this going again.  I got it started back in June, but had to put it away for several months to get beyond our move.  Not that this quilt is too difficult, but rather that it has many smaller blocks that will take lots of time.  The kit is a Moda kit using Bella Solids.  There are 48 blocks, starting with 2 - 36" blocks... I am down to the last group of 30 - 6" blocks.  This picture is the cover of the box that the fabric came in.  The instructions are minimal with a little picture of each block and the size of the pieces you have to cut.  Some of the pieces in the 6" blocks are quite small.

I made it through the first two 6ers and was sighing alot, and my husband makes the comment, you should do them using your paper piecing technique. This is block two of the 6's before I started stitching it.  Those little triangles like to shift as I am stitching, and I probably take almost as many seams out as I put in.  When it comes time to square them up to assemble the final quilt, I will only have two of these smaller blocks to worry about.  I dug out my old laptop that had EQ6 on it.  For those who don't know what EQ6 is... Electric Quilt 6.  The program has many blocks in its library and all you have to do is find your block, open it, and you can print it as a Paper Piecing design.  I have not found all my blocks yet in the library, but I am hopeful that they are all hiding in there somewhere.  So the last 28 blocks I will be using paper.  Paper piecing just makes little pieces so much easier to deal with, and points are right on.

Grand Daughter came yesterday to quilt a baby quilt.  She did an awesome job.  She used Minky on the back and I showed her how to turn the back to the front for the binding.

No comments:

Post a Comment